Benefits for Apprentices
Embarking upon an apprenticeship is an increasingly popular choice. Apprenticeships are not just for those leaving full time education and seeking a route into employment. They can also be a good route for individuals looking to change career.
Competition for apprenticeship places can be tough, but securing a place can lay the foundations for a successful career in an industry.
Benefits of participating in an apprenticeship scheme include:[/list]
- Gain a recognised industry qualification and valuable industry experience
- Develop professional work based skills alongside more formal study
- Mix learning theory with practical work based experience
- Ongoing support and guidance from your employer to enable you to get the most from your apprenticeship
- Earn while you learn, with training costs being covered by a grant/your employer
- Become part of a professional team and make new connections
- Learn from experienced colleagues to further broaden your knowledge and skills
- Build confidence through new knowledge, skills and learning a trade
- Enhance job prospects and earning potential
A career in the preservation industry can lead to you becoming a “Surveyor in Remedial Treatments”. The PCA can support you with professional development training appropriate to all stages of your career.
Read more about what the work of a Surveyor in Remedial Treatments involves on the ‘Go Construct’ website.
Qualities of a successful apprentice
- Commitment – to completing the apprenticeship scheme and contributing positively to the company that is employing them
- Awareness – of their responsibility to apply their learning to get the most out of their apprenticeship for themselves and their employer
- You must ensure that your apprentice has access to support and guidance throughout the course of the apprenticeship
- Team player – being able to work effectively as part of a team, working with colleagues to both learn and share new knowledge
- Confidence – to apply their new skills and to work on their own initiative if a situation requires