Understanding Traditional Building Construction Principles
Aim of this workshop
Deepen understanding and background knowledge of the different types of building construction, and how the construction type will affect how a building performs.
Who will benefit from attending?
This course is beneficial for foundation level training or as a refresher or to fill any gaps in existing knowledge to help them when working with buildings to assess and recommend appropriate actions for property care.
Topics covered in the workshop include:
- Basic foundation types – formation and performance, factors affecting design
- Construction below dpc level – types of construction, environmental factors
- Construction phase from dpc level to eaves level – solid/cavity walls, timber framed construction, appropriate use of materials, location/environmental factors, types of insulation, wall ties, lintels, mortars etc
- Roof construction: eaves to ridge – types of roof construction, factors affecting their design, common defects, considerations when specifying repairs, different types of floor construction etc
- Internal components commonly found in buildings
- Wall finishes – performance of different wall finishes, common defects
- The orientation of a building – how the location and orientation can assist the diagnoses of defects
Understanding Traditional Building Construction Principles Course Dates
|June 2018||Weds 13th|
Please note that there are a limited number of places on each training course and places can only be reserved with full payment. Please check back here for additional dates as they are announced.
Click here to download a Booking Form or contact Jo or Jade on tel. 0844 375 4301.