Our wood identification course is ideal for delegates who need to learn how to identify the most common structural timbers found within house construction. Using a variety of identification methods, our wood identification course will help you develop the necessary practical skills. It will provide you with the know-how and skills required to recognise different types of softwood and hardwood visually, physically and through microscopic analysis.
This intensive one day course is open to both PCA members and non-members alike. It can be taken as a single course or in conjunction with our other timber decay and woodworm courses. To find out more, call us on 01480 400 000 or contact us online to discuss any questions you may have about our wood identification course.
Contact Us About the Course >>
Book Your Place on the Course >>
Who is the wood identification training course for?
This course is ideal for surveyors, technician, tradesmen and anyone associated with the evaluation of buildings. Delegates should have prior background knowledge and experience of working in this area.
How is the wood identification training course structured?
Our wood identification course is run over one day and incorporates classroom based learning backed up by the use of timber samples to help delegates put their new knowledge into practical application.
Topics covered will include:
- Introduction to trees, wood and its structure – softwoods and hardwoods
- Different approaches to identifying woods e.g. history, colour, smell, shipping marks (leaves, flowers, seeds are the only certain way)
- The tools available – cutting tools e.g chisel, microtome, razor blades
- Preparation of specimens – sampling and pitfalls (e.g misaligned cutting, paint, glue, dirt, corrosion and rot)
- Use of the hand lens
- Use of the microscope, from low power to high power, improving contrast by staining
- The features of hardwoods and softwoods – a 3-D view with the scanning electron microscope
- Identifying common hardwoods by recognising key features
- Softwoods – features to be observed
Benefits of the wood identification course
- Have the confidence to correctly identify both hardwoods and softwood to arrive at correct diagnosis for your clients
- Combine classroom learning with hands-on practical sessions
- You will be able to display your certificate of attendance and understanding to future employers and clients to demonstrate your knowledge
- Your training will be delivered by representatives from the governing trade body – meaning you will benefit from the best training available in the industry
- Successful candidates will receive a certificate of attendance and understanding from the Property Care Association.
Summary: Dates and fees
||November 2020 – Thurs 26th
||Members: £185+ VAT, non-members: £240+ VAT
Please note that there are a limited number of places on each training course and places can only be reserved with full payment. Please check back here for additional dates as they are announced.
Book Your Training >>
What candidates have said about the course
Contact us about our Structural timbers and wood identification course
The skills gained as part of this course are vital for timber surveyors to perform their duties to the highest possible standard.
To make sure your knowledge and understanding of the various types of timber and how to identify them are at the required standard contact us today on 01480 400 000 or complete our online enquiry form below. Alternatively, to book your place on the course, simply complete our online booking form.
Contact Us >>
As the Trade Association for the preservation industry, the Property Care Association offers a variety of courses to help you with your professional development. Take a look at some of the options below.
Damp and Timber Surveyor Training
Understanding Traditional Building Construction Principles
PCA Training and Qualifications