Property Care Association Property Care Association

Help to identify a damp problem

Problems with dampness within homes or properties is a very common issue. With the amount of rainfall we receive in the UK, it is of no surprise that many homeowners may experience damp issues. But what exactly is the type of damp problem you might be suffering from?

Below, we look at the 3 main types of dampness that might be affecting you to try and help homeowners identify the particular issue affecting you.  If you do recognise any of the issues below, simply click on the appropriate link/button to find out more information along with help & advice to how you can get to the source of the issue as well as guidance towards treatments and how you can find help to remedy the damp problem.

Find local damp specialists >>

Condensation & Mould - damp problems - PCA

Condensation problems

Condensation is the most common cause of damp problems. If condensation is allowed to build up, then over time you may begin to notice persistent damp stains, degradation of finish and potentially decay to timber elements in the property.

There could be a number of reasons why you have a condensation issue, but most are caused by a lack of ventilation in the property. To find out how you can resolve the issue, click on the button below

More about Condensation >>

Rising damp - damp problems - PCA

Rising damp problems

Rising damp occurs when external ground water is drawn up through brickwork by what is known as ‘capillary action’.

Controlling/treating rising damp can take different forms and is often misdiagnosed. To avoid misdiagnosis, it is important that investigations into rising damp are undertaken by a trained and competent surveyor. To learn more about rising damp, the visual signs indicating a problem and what is involved in treating the damp problem, simply click the button below

More about Rising Damp >>

Penetrating damp - damp problems - PCA

Penetrating damp problems

Damp problems from penetrating damp occur when is allowed to come through the home/building. This is typically the result of faulty brickwork, pipes, roof tiles or window frames etc.

Have you noticed damp staining on the outside of the building? Are your rainwater management goods, gutters and downpipes ok? Do you have any cracked or defective render that may be causing the issue.  

To find out more visit our page about penetrating damp by clicking the button below. 

More about Penetrating Damp >>

Thinking you need a bit more help regarding your damp problems

If after recognising your damp problem and working through the DIY tips and guidance on the relevant pages above that you find no impact on your damp issue, then it is time to call in a damp specialists. 

The Property Care Association (PCA®) is the trade body representing specialists across the UK who can be trusted to help resolve problems affecting buildings such as rising damp

All PCA members have to meet strict membership criteria to demonstrate their technical competence and service delivery standards. To find a PCA specialist near you, simply enter your postcode below and search for a qualified and trusted PCA specialist near you.

Find a specialistQuestion?

Why use a PCA Member - Experts in their Sectors

More Homeowner Help & Guidance

For help, tips, advice and guidance on a variety of property related issues, why not visit our main Homeowners section

Find out more >>

Professional Damp Guidance

For professional tradesmen or contractors looking to find out more technical detail about damp control, visit our professional guidance section.

Find out more >>

Content Copyright © 2024 Property Care Association - All rights reserved. The Property Care Association is a company limited by guarantee and registered in England: No. 5596488

“PCA®” and the PCA logo are registered trademarks of the Property Care Association. Legal Information and Disclaimer.