Property Care Association Property Care Association

Tanking Walls

When people refer to “tanking walls”, they are typically referring to the application of a waterproofing product that will provide a barrier to the ingress of water. In the ‘british standard 8102: 2022 Code of practice for protection of below ground structures against water ingress’, these products are known as a Type A waterproofing system. 

Find local PCA members >>

What sort of products are used to tank a wall?

These are commonly multi coat renders, cement based coatings, bituminous paints or epoxy coatings. This form of waterproofing provides an unbroken barrier to water. These systems are applied to clean walls and floors and are usually protected and held in place by floor screeds, renders, plasters or other “loading coats”.

Due to the nature of these products, their success is very dependent on good preparation and application. Unless a waterproofing system is correctly designed and applied, then additional problems will inevitably occur in the future. 

How effective are tanking products?

Due to the nature of these products, their success is very dependent on the effectiveness of the tanking/waterproofing product, its preparation, its application to the wall and the building structure itself. 

Since fundamental reliance is placed on the tanking/waterproofing product, you should take into account the need to gain access to areas where you have applied the waterproofing product if a defect occurs.

In addition, if you haven’t done so already, we would also suggest professional consultancy and a survey to check it ‘tanking the walls’ is the most appropriate method,

Alternative Methods - Type B Waterproofing

Type B are structures built with a water-resistant shell, usually constructed out of reinforced concrete to an appropriate design code, which gives guidance in the grade of concrete to be used and spacing of the reinforcing steel. Special additives may also be used. 

More about Type B >>

Alternative Methods - Type C Waterproofing

Type C or ‘drained cavity’ systems rely on a drained cavity within the basement structure. There is a permanent reliance on the cavity to collect groundwater that enters through the fabric of the structure. The drainage system directs the water to a drain or sump, where it can be removed from the building by gravity or pumping.

More about Type C >>

Think you would like to speak to a specialist?

For those homeowners that would like a little bit more consultancy or help, the Property Care Association (PCA®) is the trade body representing waterproofing specialists across the UK who can be trusted to help resolve damp and waterproofing problems affecting buildings .

All PCA members have to meet strict membership criteria to demonstrate their technical competence and service delivery standards. To find a PCA specialist near you, simply enter your postcode below and search for a qualified and trusted PCA specialist near you.

Find a specialistQuestion?

Why use a PCA Member - Experts in their Sectors

Structural waterproofing guidance for construction & property specialists

For professional tradesmen or contractors looking to find out more technical detail about Structural Waterproofing, visit our professional guidance section.

Find out more >>

More about the PCA

Learn more about the PCA, what we do, our values and why our members and contractors see the PCA logo as a 'badge of honour'.

Find out more >>

The Property Care Association
11 Ramsay Court
Kingfisher Way
Business Park
PE29 6FY

Content Copyright © 2024 Property Care Association - All rights reserved. The Property Care Association is a company limited by guarantee and registered in England: No. 5596488

“PCA®” and the PCA logo are registered trademarks of the Property Care Association. Legal Information and Disclaimer.