Practical Management of Invasive Non-Native Weeds
in Britain and Ireland
A manual for prevention, rapid response and control of non-native plants
This manual, aimed at professionals involved in dealing with invasive weed species, brings together for the first time essential information required to manage non-horticultural and non-agricultural invasive weeds.
Advice involves immediate ‘rapid-response’ actions to initiate containment along with preventative strategies, control measures and monitoring requirements post-control.
The manual responds to the GB Non-native Species Strategy and deals with 38 species which have been selected from: plants listed on Schedule 9 of the Wildlife & Countryside Act 1981 (as amended) for the UK; invasive alien species of EU concern (as per EU IAS Regulation 1143/2014); and other noteworthy species of the urban environment, for example butterfly bush (buddleia).
For each featured species, the manual includes*:
- a brief description on ecology and identification with corresponding photographs
- a distribution map for the British and Irish Isles
- immediate actions that can be taken once identified
- pathways of spread
- seed production age and seed longevity
- growth rate
- life cycle schematic to assist determination of survey and treatment schedules
- prevention and rapid response measures
- a control and management table linked to a decision-making flow diagram
- waste disposal
- revegetation post-management and monitoring requirements
* Maps sourced from the National Biodiversity Network (NBN). Click here for full list of sources.
How to order
The Manual (128 pages £35.00 softback) is published by Packard Publishing – more details on their website here.
To order a copy, simply DOWNLOAD AN ORDER FORM, complete and return directly to Packard Publishing Ltd (by post to: 14 Guilden Road, Chichester, West Sussex, PO19 7LA or by e-mail to: email@example.com).