Surveying Timber & Dampness in Buildings
This training programme has been carefully constructed to provide both current surveyors and those looking to become surveyors with the knowledge and skills necessary to identify, resolve and report upon problems relating to dampness, timber infestation and decay in buildings.
This course is open to both members and non-members alike and will prepare candidates for the Certificated Surveyor of Timber & Dampness in Buildings (CSTDB) examination (previously Certificated Surveyor of Remedial Treatments (CSRT) or the Certificated Surveyor of Dampness in Buildings (CSDB) examination. Reserve your place now, or give us a call on 01480 400 000 to find out more
Contact Us About the Course >>
Book onto the Course >>
Who is this training course for?
Our damp and timber surveyor training course is designed for those already involved or who wish to become involved in the surveying of timber infestation/decay and dampness in buildings. Ideally delegates should have a background in construction as well as some related skill, knowledge or experience.
Structure of the damp and timber surveyor course
The course is divided into three one day modules. You may either attend each module separately or the complete course over three consecutive days.
Day 1 – Condensation & Dampness –Causes, diagnostics & treatment options
- Materials used in construction
- Causes and effects of dampness in buildings
- Diagnosis and methods of treatment of rising damp
- Surveying procedures
- Ancillary procedures
- Methods of measuring and assessing moisture
- Condensation compared to other sources of dampness
- Understanding relative humidity, vapour pressure and environmental moisture
- Hygrometers, surface thermometers and data loggers
Day 2 – Timber, Timber Biology, Decay and Insects
- Methods of Construction
- Structure of wood
- Surveying procedures
- Wood Borers
- Methods of treatment of timber infestations and fungal decay
- Types of preservatives and their application
Day 3 – Legal Aspects, Survey Methodology & Report Writing
- Responsibilities and liability
- Health & Safety implementation
- Survey Methodology
- How to look – what to see
- The function and content of a survey report
Benefits of our surveyor training
- As the trade body and leading voice in the industry, the PCA’s remedial treatment training is widely recognised as being of the highest standard available.
- Feel confident in your skills and knowledge in surveying dampness, timber infestation and decay in buildings.
- Great foundation study for those going on to sit the CSTDB/CSDB exams.
Flexible learning for prospective surveyors
You are free to choose whether you would like to attend each training module consecutively over three days, or we can arrange for you to attend the sessions separately over a more suitable time frame for your convenience.
Summary: Fees and dates
||Suitable as foundation study for the CSDB/CSTDB exam
||January 2020 – Tues 28th to Thurs 30th
March 2020 – Tues 17th to Thurs 19th
June 2020 – Tues 9th to Thurs 11th
September 2020 – Tues 8th to Thurs 10th
November 2020 – Tues 3rd to Thurs 5th
||Members: £500+ VAT, non-members: £650+ VAT (for 3 days)
Members: £185+ VAT, non-members: £240+ VAT (for 1 day)
||Attending this training alone does not entitle an attendee to say they have attained the CSDB/CSTDB qualification. See separate information about attaining the formal qualification via the CSDB/CSTDB examination
Book your Place on the Course >>
What people say about our surveyor training
Complete your surveyor qualification
Attending this training alone does not entitle an attendee to say they have attained a PCA qualification. See separate information about attaining the formal qualification via the CSDB/CSTDB examination here.
The Health & Safety training elements that used to be covered in Day 3 are now delivered via the new PCA Health & Safety e-learning module. It is strongly recommended that delegates complete this e-learning as part of their study, and especially if they are planning to sit the CSDB/CSTDB examination.
Contact us about our damp & timber surveyor training
You can reserve your preferred dates on the course by booking online now, or if you have some questions you would like to ask about our damp and timber surveyor training simply give us a call on 01480 400 000 or complete our online enquiry form below.
Contact Us >>
As the Trade Association for the damp and timber surveying industry, the PCA offer a variety of courses to help you with your professional development. Take a look at some of the options below.
PCA Training and Qualifications
CSDB & CSTDB Exam Preparation Course