Traditional Building Construction Principles
Understanding the principles of traditional building construction is a necessary skill for anyone involved in the property preservation industry. Our traditional building construction principles course provides this grounding by developing delegates understanding and knowledge of the fundamentals of the different types of building construction and how the construction type will affect how a building performs.
The course is open to both PCA members and non members alike and can be taken alone or in conjunction with our other suite of courses designed for property professionals. To find out more complete our online enquiry form, call 01480 400 000 or reserve your place on the course by completing our online booking form.
Contact Us About the Course >>
Reserve Your Place on the Course >>
Who should attend our traditional building construction training?
This course is ideal as foundation level training, or as a refresher or to fill any gaps in existing knowledge to help surveyors and technicians when working with buildings to assess and recommend appropriate actions for property care.
The course is also of great value for those working in an office based support role, especially those who are new to the property care industry. The course provides the necessary background in traditional building types so that attendees can feel confident talking to field-based colleagues and customers.
Topics covered in the traditional building construction workshop
Topics covered will include:
- Basic foundation types – formation and performance, factors affecting design
- Construction below damp proof course level – types of construction, environmental factors
- Construction phase from dpc level to eaves level – solid/cavity walls, timber framed construction, appropriate use of materials, location/environmental factors, types of insulation, wall ties, lintels, mortars etc
- Roof construction: eaves to ridge – types of roof construction, factors affecting their design, common defects, considerations when specifying repairs, different types of floor construction etc
- Internal components commonly found in buildings
- Wall finishes – performance of different wall finishes, common defects
- The orientation of a building – how the location and orientation can assist the diagnosis of defects
Benefits of the workshop
- Gain a strong grasp on traditional building construction principles to perform your role more effectively
- Feel assured understanding the work of field based colleagues
- Improve confidence when talking to customers & clients about their property problems.
- Strengthen your ability to make recommendations rooted in the understanding of building construction principles
Summary: Dates and fees
|Level:||Foundation – Suitable for all|
|When:||April 2021 – Thurs 8th **CANCELLED**|
September 2021 – Weds 15th
|Fees:||Members: £195+ VAT, non-members: £250+ VAT|
Please note that there are a limited number of places on each training course and places can only be reserved with full payment. Please check back here for additional dates as they are announced.
Book Your Training >>
What candidates have said about our training
Contact us about our traditional building construction course
To discuss any questions you may have about the training simply give us a call on 01480 400 000 or contact us online using the enquiry form below. However, if you are ready to reserve your place on the course right away then simply complete our online booking form and select your preferred dates.
Contact Us >>
As the Trade Association for the building and preservation industry, the Property Care Association offers a variety of courses to help you with your professional development. To find out more, take a look at some of the options below.
PCA Training and Qualifications
Alternative Repair Strategies for Traditional Buildings