Flood Protection and Your Property

A guide to protecting your home

Flood Protection and Your Property

Click on the image for your free guide

“Being flooded is an appalling experience, one which has long term consequences for everyone concerned.

Being the victim of dirty floodwater destroying your home and your belongings is very hard. Often it’s the sentimental items, that don’t have an insurance value that can hurt the most (such as your children’s playgroup drawings and photos of those no longer with us.) The average person is out of their home for about 9 months whilst it is being dried and refurbished. This can put an awful strain on families as they cope with day to day living in alternative accommodation-often miles from their own home.  Commercial organisations struggle too trying to keep their business going under difficult circumstances.

It doesn’t have to be doom and gloom. You can take action to substantially cut down your risk.  Be aware of your flood risk, plan and prepare in advance what to do if a flood is coming, and make moves to protect your home or business from being flooded.”
                                                                                                                     Mary Dhonau OBE

Use our postcode search to find a PCA Flood Protection Group member for your area.

Reading and following the advice in the above guide and below can help you take steps to reduce the impact of flooding.

Check if your home or business is at risk of being flooded

What should I do if I find out that my home or business is at risk?

Depending on the extent of your flood risk a more detailed Flood Risk Assessment may be required. This will involve a physical survey of the property and will reveal the following:

• The level of thresholds and floors
• The likely points of water entry
• Whether attempts should be made to keep water out of your home or just to allow the water in and enhance the building in such a way as to limit the damage and promote rapid clean up
• Making it resilient to flooding, so if the floodwater does come in the damage is limited

The property-level survey of your house should be performed by an experienced professional who is a member of the Property Care Association (PCA) Flood Protection Group.

They will report on:

• A list of all vulnerable apertures – doors, windows, air bricks
• A list of all wall ingress points – pipes, BT/cable entry points, boiler vents, etc
• An inspection of the wall to see if it will withstand standing water for a period in excess of 24 hours. This will include checking of brickwork, mortar, etc
• A check on utility meters below a 900mm threshold
• A check on the internal floor of the property – properties with raised floors, cellars and basements are obviously more prone to flooding than others
• A check on the sewerage system which is particularly important if the property has downstairs toilets and showers

What should I do next?

Next you should request quotes from a member of the PCA Flood Protection Group. The PCA is the Trade Association representing property specialists.  All its members are rigorously checked and audited to ensure their technical competence.

Use our postcode search to find a PCA Flood Protection Group member for your area.

It is advisable to only fit BSI Kitemark accredited flood defence solutions (where available). These are the preferred choice of insurers, which becomes an important factor in your decision making process if you wish to maintain flood insurance cover.

You should note that most properties in the UK can only be protected from flooding up to a maximum height of 900mm.

Check that the solutions being offered to you are suitable in both height and width and conform to the member’s Kitemark (PAS1188) certificate.

Compare prices, leakage rates, guarantees and warranties and make your choice.