In your weekly PCA update this week:
- Tips for Surveying Cavity Walls
- What can we learn from JKW Research & Development?
- Knowledge Exchange Project with UCL
- PCA Webinars in Demand!
- A Thriving PCA Greenhouse
- Dampness within Buildings Webinar
- Guidance on the Delivery of Blue Roofs
- Your Weekly ‘Tune in Tuesday’
- Welcome to those Joining the PCA
Tips for Surveying Cavity Walls
With nearly 20 million homes in the UK of cavity wall construction, we know our members will be looking at properties such as this on a daily basis. Following last week’s webinar on ‘Defects in Cavity Construction’, your Technical Manager James Berry guides members through some simple tips for surveying cavity walls.
You can access the guide via the button below. If you need to talk any of this in further detail, please give James a call on 01480 400000, or email him on firstname.lastname@example.org.
What can we learn from JKW Research & Development?
Following Dr Daniel Jones’ webinar last week, your ‘Dr Peter Fitzsimons’ takes away a few important messages for members to think about. The publication of field-trial works two years ago gave all those involved in Japanese knotweed management ‘food for thought’ and in Peter’s opinion, many of the important conclusions merit replaying and incorporating in to our own strategies and management plans.
Members can click the button below to read the full article…
Knowledge Exchange Project with UCL
We are pleased to share with members that a new project officially started this week, which forms part of the collaboration project on Knowledge Exchange between the PCA and University College London (UCL) Department of Electronic and Electrical Engineering.
This project – “Remote Internet of Things (IoT) System for Protecting Property Health” – aims to develop a prototype based on the research generated in our former KTP project, which has now progressed to building the software element of our moisture/mould diagnostic system.
Our belief in the importance of research and the continued support of you, our members, enables projects like this to progress.
We will update members as the project develops but if you want to discuss it in more detail/have any questions, please get in touch with your resident Researcher Paula on 01480 400000, or via email on email@example.com.
PCA Webinars in Demand!
Hopefully, PCA members will have noticed the increase in our volume of online output during the “lockdown”, which have all been very well received.
Last weeks ‘Defects in Cavity Wall Construction’ webinar had over 230 people attending, with almost 200 on yesterday’s ‘Ground Gas Protection’ event. This really does demonstrate that the format is working. These webinars are sparking the interest of organisations who want to share this information, organisations such as the Chartered Institute of Builders (CIOB) who have asked us to produce three of the recent webinars:
- Japanese Knotweed: Problem Plant or ‘Just a Weed’?
- Evolution of Damp Control
- Wood decay in buildings
Opportunities like this allows us to further promote the knowledge and skills of our members on a much wider platform and we hope that more requests like this will happen over the coming weeks and months. Click on the button below to view the library of webinars.
A Thriving PCA Greenhouse
Despite the lockdown, the PCA Greenhouse continues to flourish! A mixture of the warm weather recently has certainly kept their spirits up and as you can see, we have plenty of developing/developed samples for the Invasive Plant Identification course coming up over the next few months!
To find out more about this course and how you can gain further knowledge and understanding of invasive species, click on the button below or get in touch with Jade on 01480 400000 / firstname.lastname@example.org.
Dampness within Buildings Webinar
Our programme of CPD webinars continues next week and beyond to keep you, our members updated with relevant and topical information. Keep an eye out on the ‘Webinars’ page on our website, in our weekly emails and across social media as we send out reminders. So what’s on the schedule for the next couple of weeks:
- **Members Only** “Tune in Tuesday”: Every Tuesday, 9-10am
- Dampness within Buildings: 7th May, 9-10am
- Waterproofing and Insurance. Design with confidence: 14th May, 9-10am
You can register or find out more information via the button below – this is your opportunity to keep in touch with YOUR Association and gain 2 CPD points too!
Guidance on the Delivery of Blue Roofs
For our members who deal with podium decks and deck waterproofing, an ongoing research project from CIRIA will be particularly relevant. Shared by your Board Member Ben Hickman of CSSW.LONDON, this research project is looking at blue roofs and the authors are seeking a wide range of perspectives on various issues including waterproofing.
Your views will be of great value, so if you can assist with this project please click on the link below to complete the questionnaire.
**PCA MEMBERS ONLY** Your Weekly ‘Tune-in Tuesday’
Join us on Tuesday as we welcome our guest speaker Les Meikle to our regular ‘Tune in Tuesday’ event. Les will open up a discussion on ‘Re-shaping your business for the New Normal – What does your business model potentially look like?’. These weekly sessions are a great way to engage with your Association and receive not only the latest updates from us but also, hopefully, some helpful and valuable information too.
We have welcomed lots of our members on these webinars – this really is a great opportunity to ask questions on the topics that matter to you. So why not join us? Registration is OPEN via the button below. If you have any queries, please give us a call on 01480 400000.
Welcome to those joining the PCA
We are pleased to welcome the following companies into the PCA:
- Inspectas Compliance Ltd (Contractor – Invasive Weed Sector)
- Landtech UK Ltd (Contractor – Invasive Weed Sector)
- Eco Control Solutions Ltd (Provisional Contractor Status – Invasive Weed Sector)
- Curedamp Ltd (Provisional Contractor Status – Damp & Timber Sector)
- Paul Newland (Independent Surveyor – Damp and Timber Sector)
Other recent news or related info
- Learning from Japanese knotweed Research & Development?
- Tips for Surveying Cavity Walls
- Video Diagnostics During Lockdown
- PCA Mid Week News – 25th March 2020
- KTP Update
- Skills & Training Fund
- COVID-19: Construction – Between a Rock and a Hard Place
- PCA Mid Week News – 25th March 2020
- COVID-19: Uncertain times for now
- TrustMark’s Finance Option for Registered Businesses
- Floods: Damaging to life, property – and the environment
- Code of Practice for Property Flood Resilience
- Japanese knotweed management – The challenge
- An Introduction to ‘Paula’s Papers’
- PCA Supports New Amenity Standard
- Launch of New Methodology for Traditional Buildings
- Hodgson View: Damp in Traditional Buildings
- Could you be an expert witness?
- Why attend a regional meeting?
- Free money for training? Yes please
- CITB Skills and Training Fund
- PCA Apprenticeship Scheme
Remember to keep in the loop…
Find out the latest news instantly by following the PCA via our social media channels: