In your weekly PCA update this week:
- The Hodgson View: Holding back the Flood
- Bamboo: Why should Japanese knotweed get all the publicity?
- New Guidance: Making your Property Flood Resilient
- Updated Guidance: Type C Waterproofing Systems
- More Dates Secured for joint UKCMB Online Course
- CITB Virtual Employer Conventions
- New Members
- National Apprenticeship Week Feb 2021
The Hodgson View: Holding back the Flood
Whilst the weather continues to throw a curve ball and we see so many dealing with flooding and ongoing flood alerts, your CEO asks in his latest ‘Hodgson View’, “Are we getting our act together at last? Are we starting to see changes that just might change the way we think about and deal with flood risk? Is 2021 the year we “know our flood risk” and finally start to do something about it?
Members can read the whole Hodgson View by clicking on the button below.
Bamboo: Why should Japanese knotweed get all the publicity?
There’s more than one plant capable of causing damage to buildings and Bamboo certainly is one that is emerging from the shadows of Japanese knotweed. So why then does Japanese knotweed get all the publicity? It’s a question that your Technical Manager Peter Fitzsimons asks in his latest blog….
Members can read the full blog via the button below.
New Guidance: Making your Property Flood Resilient
The issue of flooding is certainly continuing to grab the headlines, as more bad weather is predicted for much of the country over the next week and all the extra water that will bring to our doors.
CIRIA finally published their “Code of practice for property flood resilience (C790F)” which we shared with members some weeks ago. More recently they have released the supporting guidance document “Making your property flood resilient” (C790c) which is another useful tool for members in the flood sector.
Members can access it by clicking on the button below.
Updated Guidance: Type C Waterproofing Systems
We have recently updated our Best Practice Guidance Technical Document on Type C Waterproofing Systems. The changes are relatively minor to ensure better synergy between other PCA guidance documents, and to emphasise the significance of frequent maintenance in all Type C Systems.
This industry leading guidance is part of a suite of best practice technical documents, which also includes guidance on Type A & B Waterproofing Systems. Members can access these via the button below.
More Dates Secured for joint UKCMB Online Course
We are delighted to announce to members that we have secured more dates with UK Centre for Moisture in Buildings (UKCMB), for their online ‘Understanding and Managing Moisture Risks in Buildings’ training course, as follows:
- 19th April 2021: Context
- 20th April 2021: Coherence
- 21st April 2021: Caution
- 22nd April 2021: Capacity
We continue to work with the UKCMB and are awaiting news of the abstract we submitted to be part of their ICMB21 conference later this year. We look forward to updating members in due course.
In the meantime, to secure your place on the training course please contact the training team on 01480 400000.
CITB Virtual Employer Conventions
Members can register now for one of CITB’s ‘Virtual Employer Conventions’, which includes a set of events that are specific to Scotland and Wales. These conventions will discuss:
- how CITB employers will be assessed to pay the CITB Levy for the next three years
- what’s been identified as the areas of greatest need for employers in developing skills for their business success, whilst best supporting the wider industry
- how Levy registered employers can take part in consultation on the Levy Proposals 2022-25 and have their say on the proposed areas of support for construction businesses
Members can find out more and register by clicking on the button below.
We are pleased to welcome the following companies into membership of the PCA:
- Sovereign Specialist Services Ltd
- PAGeoContracting Ltd
National Apprenticeship Week Feb 2021
With National Apprenticeship Week happening next week from 8-14th February, there is no better time to start the ball rolling for an apprenticeship. There will be an abundance of information to whet your appetite next week, but for now, members can find out more by clicking on the button below….
Other recent news or related info
- Green Homes Grant Scheme: The principles and the pitfalls
- Green Homes Grant Scheme: What does this mean for Ventilation?
- VIDEO: Tackling Problem Retrofit Insulation
- Proud to be part of the PCA
- Video Diagnostics During Lockdown
- COVID-19: Uncertain times for now
- Floods: Damaging to life, property – and the environment
- Code of Practice for Property Flood Resilience
- An Introduction to ‘Paula’s Papers’
- Launch of New Methodology for Traditional Buildings
- Hodgson View: Damp in Traditional Buildings
Remember to keep in the loop…
Find out the latest news instantly by following the PCA via our social media channels: